Unlike many sour beers on the market today, Ltd #20 is not a kettle sour (where the wort is pre-soured with lactobacillus in the kettle, before boiling).
Instead we used a yeast that is commonly used in the wine industry, but whose use is only starting to be explored by the brewing industry. Lanchancea thermotolerans is a yeast that consumes simple sugars, but instead of producing alcohol, as per brewer’s yeast, it produces lactic acid, which causes the sour flavour. After approximately four days, we added our standard ale yeast to the now soured wort, which converted the rest of the sugar to alcohol.
Fruit was added both at the start, along with the Lanchancea yeast, but the majority was added immediately post-fermentation. The sugar in the fruit then started a short secondary fermentation.
Fruit addition rate is 115g/L, the ratio of raspberry to gooseberry is about 75:25
Appearance: Very deep pink, tending towards red. Pours with a short-lived pale pink head
Aroma: Intense raspberry aroma dominates, alongside a less prominent sweet gooseberry aroma
Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation lifts the sweetness of the fruit. Both lactic and citric acids hit the back and sides of the tongue
Flavour: Fruits dominate, with tartness present from the sour wort but also from the natural fruit sharpness. Sweet and sour fruit gives way to more lingering acidic flavours in the aftertaste. Relatively dry finish makes the overall sensation refreshing and moreish. Little to no hop character.
How Much Is Delivery?
- We charge a flat rate of €5.50 per order for domestic delivery (ROI & NI)
Where Do We Deliver?
- We offer 32 County Craft Beer Delivery across the full Island of Ireland via DPD Couriers(ROI & NI).
- We also offer EU shipping to a selection of European destinations. For more info on our EU shipping rates and delivery times please visit our shipping information page.
When Will My Order Be Delivered?
- Orders placed before 2pm Monday to Friday will be processed for same day dispatch and are typically delivered the following working day (excluding Bank Holidays)
- Orders placed after 2pm on Friday will be processed for dispatch on the following Monday and are typically delivered the following working day (excluding Bank Holidays)
*** Covid 19 Notice: Although every effort will be made to maintain our next day delivery schedule, unfortunately due to above normal levels of demand placed on our delivery partners, occasional delays may be experienced. We ask for your patience and understanding during these unprecedented times.
*** EU shipping times can vary from 3-6 days depending on the destination. For more information on EU shipping times please visit our shipping information page
Once you place your order you will receive a confirmation email from us with a tracking number. You can now use this tracking number to track your delivery on www.dpd.ie
- Visit dpd.ie and enter the tracking number you received from us via email to see your current parcel delivery status.
- Visit www.dpd.ie and select the "Chat" icon. You can then input your details and their support desk will be able to update you on your current parcel delivery status